Thanks all, some great options and ideas as always.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax
SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com<http://www.sqldownunder.com/>

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Paul Glavich
Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014 3:19 PM
To: 'ozDotNet'
Subject: RE: PDF and .doc generators for websites

We use ExpertPDF as it does HTML to PDF conversions. Actually we use 2 separate
versions of it as one supports SVG really well but has issues with some HTML
items whereas the other one does pretty much every thing HTML but not SVG :)

It works ok, but it’s a little CPU intensive and sometimes if the app pool
recycles, it seems to get ‘wonky’ (yes that’s a tech term) and start eating
memory slowly without letting it go until it hits our private bytes limit and
forces another recycle after which it works as normal. My guess is that because
it uses an external DLL (I think it is related to IE) and COM then this is
where things go astray.

I’d say this is ok as a library as it does do HTML to PDF quite well (we have
people create templates in HTML) but if I had my way to redo it properly (it
has been inplace for a long time), I would use an external service and take it
off the box. At the very least, create my own site/vm to do the creation and
call into that. In addition, I’d use a full .Net solution that does not require
any interop. This way your sites are not affected by what might be a potential
CPU suck and you can properly throttle and control the concurrency of PDF
generation via queues (which you can still do on box but CPU usage is still
affected). In addition, you can change PDF generation engines much more easily.

-          Glav

Anyone got strong opinions on particular PDF and .doc generators for use with
MVC ?