From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Greg Low (??????)
Sent: Monday, 29 February 2016 10:05 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: RE: [OT] ACS - relevant?

I follow what you’re saying Tony but the two concepts are separate.

You are describing what you are looking for in an employee. You might consider
that “professionalism” but you are not actually describing what most other
industries would describe as professionalism. In most industries,
professionalism is about a formal agreement to adhere to a code of ethics,
being qualified in the first place, maintaining appropriate certifications,
carrying out ongoing learning, etc. And, more importantly, ejection from the
profession if you don’t do what’s required.

It’s just that the IT industry places more value on a perceived ability to get
something done.

There’s nothing wrong with that per se, but people that we consider to be IT
professionals won’t ever be regarded as such by most of the community, and
we’ll continue to see people that lurch from one disaster to the next with
impunity. It’s worth considering that very few other professions would tolerate
the failure rate that’s associated with IT projects.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax
SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com<http://www.sqldownunder.com/>