Yes.

WAAD does not present to Windows servers in the same way that AD does. If
you want to make queries against WAAD you'll need to use graph API and
probably rework your apps if you need to do fine grained access control.

Think of WAAD as a light-weight directory that you use as a small business.
Large businesses with IaaS workloads will typically use WAAD in conjunction
with on premise AD or AADDS.

If all you need to do is put WAAD authentication in front of a web app,
then this is a piece of piss. Just deploy your app into App Server or App
Service Environment and then turn on Azure AD auth. The App Service
intercepts requests and does the SAML login for you transparently. The
logged on user gets presented back to the app in a cookie.

Alternatively, if you need something closer to traditional AD, then
Microsoft have AADDS -  Azure Active Directory, Directory Services (
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory-ds/) this
shares the same user principles as WAAD but also exposes traditional DS
interfaces so you can domain join servers and so on.

David.

--
David Connors
da...@connors.com | @davidconnors | LinkedIn | +61 417 189 363