From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Greg Keogh
Sent: Wednesday, 21 June 2017 10:45 AM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: Re: Azure Active Directory

Yooiks! I'm not quite sure what I want (which is a worry). WAAD vs AADDS

You say WAAD is more light-weight, which probably suits us, I think.

Overall, as a coder, I want to put all authentication and permission/roles
information for all of our apps and users in a single place where it can be
maintained by admin staff, and it's easy to query from .NET code.

Am I wrong to regard WAAD as some sort of "magic" database to where I can stuff
all our vintage data? Perhaps I'm thinking like a reductionist and expecting a
quick fix.

If all you need to do is put WAAD authentication in front of a web app, then
this is a piece of piss. Just deploy your app into App Server or App Service
Environment and then turn on Azure AD auth. The App Service intercepts requests
and does the SAML login for you transparently. The logged on user gets
presented back to the app in a cookie.

This is a good clue. I'll look into the details of doing this.

GK