> Sorry, another Greg rant to follow…

I'm somewhat comforted that I might not be completely mad or grumpy.

Yes, really! It's 2017, and the best way to distribute an app is to
clumsily cobble together HTML, CSS and JavaScript and cram it into a web
browser. There is no duplex communication, no rich UI design, we can't even
pick which development kit to use, app appearance and behaviour is
inconsistent, JavaScript is someone's hobby mess that we need to generate
it or build other languages over just to make it writable ... and so on to
repeat myself.

The current state of distributed app development using "the web" is a joke.
After 25 years I can't see anything to replace it. The web is still barely
better than tin cans with strings.

The mobile world is a similar problem due to the three competing ecosystems
which use different tools, standards, UIs and company cultures. It's nice
of Xamarin to attempt to plug this gap, but it's barely working.

Software development is such a stinking mess that I'd retire now in disgust
if I could. I've said before that my gravestone will read "Everything
F***ing Doesn't Work".

*Greg K*