From: Dr Greg Low <g...@sqldownunder.com>
Sent: Monday, 25 October 2021 8:38 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: Re: SQL Graph databases

Hi Greg,

We try to get devs to avoid using EF in anger at all, let alone for use with
Graph in SQL Server.

It's also not just EF support that's needed when new datatypes appear, client
libraries, etc have to be updated too. Anyone using EF is always well behind in
ability to use current features.

I currently don't see value in their current Graph implementation; I don't love
the syntax (which is reminiscent of pre ANSI 92 join syntax): and I don't
really feel it adds anything much that I couldn't easily do without it.

To really add value, it would need to support constructs like polymorphic
queries (tell me all things related to John, regardless of type), etc.
Shoe-horning those into T-SQL would be quite a challenge.

I haven't seen a single customer pursuing it beyond their initial tests.

If you want to hear a more detailed discussion on it though, check out the
podcast I did with Louis Davidson about it a few months ago. It's in the
podcasts at our https://sqldownunder.com site.

My prediction is that it will become yet another item of abandonware in the
product. No-one is now talking about it. I wish they'd spend time building
things we need instead of wasting effort like this.

Regards

Greg

Dr Greg Low
Director