The next issue of Birth Matters, the journal of the Maternity Coalition,
has gone to the printer, and I would like to encourage everyone to consider
subscribing at this time when we all need, so much, to pull together.  The
future of childbirth in Australia is at a critical point, and I believe we
can work together strategically to bring in the needed changes.

This issue focuses on consumers, and the title on the front cover is:
"Closing the gap: on women's choice, control, continuity of carer and
midwives' ability to practice"

It's a bumper issue. The articles include:
Consumer power, by Christine and Damien Toppi
Private Health Insurance Funds - Report by Emma Fleay
Consumer participation - who controls what you get? By Karen Lane
Trusting enough to be out of control, by Jenny Parratt
On being a mother - four accounts by women
Midwives and women: a with-woman relationship? By Fiona Brooks and Helen
Lomax
The new midwife, by the B Mid student collective
Bachelor of Midwifery in Victoria, by Diane Cutts
My experience as a direct entry midwifery student, by Carole Bastian
A time of crisis - the gap is closing  - editorial
Press releases and reports on the PI crisis, by various organisations and
individuals
ACT branch report
MIPP column
Letters, and lots more.

www.maternitycoalition.org.au
You may join/renew membership by sending your contact details with $30 to
The secretary, Maternity Coalition
PO Box 73
Brunswick South Vic 3055

Group subscription (4 copies of each issue to one address) $100
Bulk orders of 10 or more sent to one address may be ordered at cost price
+ post.