Dear ozmidpeople
PLEASE SUPPORT VICTORIAN INDEPENDENT MIDWIVES, AND WOMEN WHO HAVE BOOKED
THEIR SERVICES.
Please write letters, requesting urgent action on behalf of women seeking
maternity services, and midwives, to:

The Hon John Thwaites
Minister for Health
555 Collins Street
Melbourne Vic 3000

And to Dr Wooldridge

We have been given 4-days' notice that as of 1September, we will have no
insurance cover.  Previously we had been told that insurance was being
reviewed in September.  This is totally unreasonable.  The whole
maternity/midwifery community should be outraged.  This applies to most
midwives who attend women privately in Victoria.  Note that this has
happened at the same time as ANF has accepted a midwife:woman ratio of less
than 1to1 for women in labour in the State's hospitals.

Re:     professional indemnity insurance for Victorian midwives

Midwives who have insurance through ANF will NOT be insured for independent
practice from 1 Sept 2001.  Midwives employed in hospitals or health
services will continue to receive PII cover.
This message has come from Lisa Fitzpatrick at the Vic ANF.  ANF will send
a letter to members who have been identified as midwives in private
practice, and inform them of this situation.

Midwives will individually decide whether or not they will continue
practising without insurance.  It's not an easy decision.  If anyone wants
to know, please ask the midwife concerned.
Maternity Coalition needs to send a delegation to John Thwaites, in an
effort to protect the interests of women who engage a midwife for
professional services, and in the interests of midwives whose livelihood is
threatened.  [a request for such a meeting, seeking assurance that women
who employ midwives will not be disadvantaged, has gone to the Minister]
Joy Johnston [EMAIL PROTECTED]