Dear Macha
It's music to an 'older' activist's ears to hear you say "I'd love to start
a natural birth and child care movement where I live!!!".  You have taken
the first step.  Please keep going.  This group has the people and
knowledge to help you do just that.

It is truly reprehensible that small community hospitals are closing
maternity services, and this has been happening for years.  It goes against
world standards for best practice:
"The district is the basic unity for planning and implementing [maternity]
care" (WHO 1994 Mother-Baby package.  Implementing safe motherhood in
countries.)

You are correct in suggesting that midwives should be able to provide the
basic service for the majority of pregnant women throughout pregnancy and
birth and thereafter. That's what midwives are supposed to do.  The women
who develop medical or obstetric complications may need to be transferred
to a bigger unit, and most of them will know that in advance of labour.
Closing local maternity units means that ALL women are treated as if they
have complications.  Inductions for reasons other than acceptable medical
reasons become more common, often because distance of travel becomes an
issue, and the cascade of interventions sets in.

If you are serious about starting a natural birth and child care movement,
see if you can find a couple of other women (consumers), a couple of
midwives who know how to practise under their own responsibility, and other
interested people who bring useful skills, and get a little community
action group going.  You need to develop a plan to establish a midwife
managed unit, similar to a birth centre, with midwives taking caseloads.
Get someone to manage media exposure. If there are supportive doctors, they
can help, but you don't need them necessarily.  (I'm sticking my neck way
out, but I stand by that statement!)  Find support in the rural section of
the Health dept, and in Community Services.  Make it a community issue.
 Expect opposition, and plan ways to overcome it.  Use the term 'Community
Based Midwifery', and get your community to own it.

Link in with Maternity Coalition.  We can't do it for you, but we can
support you.  You may have read on this list of the National Plan for
Community Based Midwifery that is being developed - if you want to see the
draft, please contact me, or Barb Vernon.

My advice is, GO FOR IT!
Joy Johnston
25 Eley Rd  Blackburn South Vic  3130
Tel:    03 9808 9614