Dear ozmidwives, and interested consumer activists
Has anyone explored a personal PI insurance arrangement, where a midwife
buys insurance as an individual?  What is available? What terms? What cost?

I am wanting to pursue this line of inquiry myself, and would appreciate
any help from colleagues who have already gone into it.  With the recent
changes to Victoria's Nurses Act, giving the Board discretionary power to
require us to demonstrate that we have insurance, it's only a matter of
time before midwives who continue to attend homebirths come under the
spotlight.  If no insurance is interpreted as 'unprofessional conduct',
which is a possibility (imo),  midwives attending homebirths could be up
for investigation and discipline.

I don't believe this would stop homebirth, but it would certainly force it
underground.  This is not in the public interest.  I believe that if the
Nurses Boards and other regulatory authorities around Australia are truly
committed to protecting the public, they will actively seek to protect the
right of the woman to access a known midwife to attend birth in any
setting, in a way that is consistent with the ICM Definition of the
Midwife. Surely this is best practice.

I look forward to your responses, and will keep you informed of the results
of my inquiries.
Joy Johnston
25 Eley Rd  Blackburn South Vic  3130
Tel:    03 9808 9614