Date: Friday, September 20, 2002 21:06:00
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Refusing the breast

Hi Sheena,

I’m really cautious about recommending anything but breast, as despite my desire to the contrary, my one year-old had to be bottle-fed from six weeks (for reasons too personal to go into here). I was advised by our paed to give her S26 Gold, a very reassuring name with lots of scientific-sounding jargon on the label to allay an anxious mother’s fears. Still deferring to medical opinion (being in a highly suggestible post-partum state), I fed her this and several other formulas until it became clear that her digestion was being seriously compromised by drinking it. Each brand produced the same result: projectile reflux, nasty-smelling nappies, skin problems etc.

I then went with what I had been advised against since suggesting it. I talked it over with my husband, who was very keen to try it. It’s called Barley Formula. You make it yourself. It’s almost totally organic, if you get the right ingredients, and is as close to mother’s milk as you can get, in my humble opinion.

It worked for my little one. She became a happy, thriving little girl. She inherited eczema from one or both sides of my family, and has some other medical issues that are genetic in origin, so she’s a very sensitive little possum, but barley formula confounded many who pooh-poohed it. I also happen to personally know at least 10 people who have had total success with it and have anecdotal evidence of success with hundreds more.

If you really need to supplement, please consider this formula. My email is [EMAIL PROTECTED] . I’ll write out the recipe for you and explain more about it off-list, if you wish to know.

In the meantime, good luck, I hope Ruby goes from strength to strength.

Regards,

Lyn Cottee