Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 12:52 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Intro & Question

Hello again!
I'm saying again because I used to be a member of this list a couple of years ago while doing my Master of Midwifery.   I unsubscribed due to huge computer problems & because once I qualified I was unable to get work in the maternity area...just as a casual which was few & far between!

Anyway,  about me.  I'm Carole Claxton..42years old & a Registered Nurse/Midwife.  For the past year I've been working part-time in a nursing home while being oncall for maternity work at the Base hospital.  As from next week, I do have a 6 month contract for part-time work in Special Care Nursery.  That I'm excited about but also nervous as I feel I have forgotten everything I learnt!

I have 4 children,  1 of whom no longer lives at home & I have recently discovered that I am pregnant,  with what my Mum calls a "whoopsie" baby!  Which leads me to my question!  I have always wanted a homebirth but was always talked out of them previously by my husband (who is not around this time),  and not because of any medical reasons.   My GP isn't keen on the idea because of my age!!  But I'd still like to consider the option & get as much info as I can.   So,  is there a homebirth midwife in or near Toowoomba?   What are the costs involved?  Is my age a negative factor?

Thanks for any info you can give me & I look forward to being a part of this list again!

Carole