Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Intro & Question

I too had a bonus baby -sorry cant give any advice on birth place but was told all manner of scary things re risks - a short labour -i was already in a hospital ward - labour stopped the night before on arrival as they put in an IV bung -just in case. This time, I laboured quietly in the dark before telling anyone -then asked if I could go to "delivery" and shower as I was now in labour and had just had a bowel motion and show, so went into shower and stayed there as they assumed my labour had just started. I came out when my husband and daughter arrived and I was in transition - no time for IVs or VEs or anything else - lovely birth with ten year old watching over the midwife's shoulder.

Gee Pinky

Isn't this why homebirth is so attractive?  No need to dodge the VE etc.  Homebirth is about birth on a woman’s terms, no complying with protocols that are not based on evidence or fitting in with organisational needs!!

Hello Carol

Unless your age creates an obstetric condition, it doesn’t matter!  Age itself is not a condition no matter how much they scare you!! I would think your body is saying it is doing quite OK by getting pregnant!  Good Luck finding a midwife and remember GP’s are generalists, midwives are experts in normal (and beautiful birth).  Homebirth midwives who are not constrained by the system see a lot more normal, sad but true.

Trust your instinct and you will birth beautifully.

Justine Caines

Homebirth Mum to Ruby 3, Clancy 2 and William 8 months

and co-ordinator of Homebirth Australia