This is a bit of a nostalgic ramble but may be of interest............

   SO pleased the National Women's Media Centre has been mentioned. For
some time I was their International Coordinator and represented the group
at the 1995  Women's Conference in Beijing both at the NGO and UN levels.
Also I spent many an interesting tour, usually with Helen Leonard the
Co-Ord, tracking down and photographing billboards that were unacceptably
in their depiction of women.
      This was also the time when the Buga-up campaigns were happening and
I recall meetings with those young and fit women who would climb onto and
deface offending billboards.....Competitions were also held to find the
worst posters and there were many wins with companies having to take down
posters and find more generally acceptable ways of advertising.....All part
of community connsciousness raising along the way to a more equal

   Elaine Odgers Norling