Howdy folks....

just reading my Oct issue of "Melbourne's Child' to see that in the 'Whats News?" section a small article titled "Pain is Beautiful"...

it reads....

"A visiting Dutch expert speaking at a national midwives conference has urged women to embrace the pain of childbirth if they want to experience "the most beautiful time of their life."

"The safest way to have your baby is by having labour pain," Beatrijis Smulders said, adding that taking drugs made the experience "boring". She said midwives helped women embrace the pain of giving birth as a normal and healthy part of bringing a new human being into the world.

"An epidural makes you bored at the most beautiful time in your life", she said. The Nertherlands has one of the lowest rates of maternal and infant deaths in the developed world, Ms Smulders said, despite many women having home births with a midwife and only going to hospital if something went wrong.

The Executive Officer of the Australain College of Midwives, Dr. Barbara Vernon, said Ms Smulders' approach challenged Australian women's preoccupation with having a pain -free labour."

Yours in reforming midwifery
Tina Pettigrew.
B Mid Student ACU Melb
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMidStudentCollective/

" As we trust the flowers to open to new life

               - So we can trust birth"

Harriette Hartigan.