We have the numbers to show that primips do well in a birth centre.  We don't do any inductions.  It's getting harder to provide women with the care they want.  Phone me if you want, I'll put you onto my boss. 0397770605      Maureen
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Judy Chapman
Sent: Thursday, 13 May 2004 7:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] urgent help for Another victorian birthing unit

Hi Tracy
Mackay Birth Center takes primips but not inductions with the exception of women booked with them who have had an ARM and have then established in labour.
How long does it take to transfer to the tertiary unit? I don't have figures to back me up but my feeling is that the main difference between primips and multis is likely to be the length of labour and the theoretically greater chance of FTP because they have an 'unproven' pelvis. I would imagine the rates of fetal distress, PPH etc would be similar in both groups.
If a woman is not progressing to the protocol's times and there is no fetal distress then more time can be given to get the woman to OR for a CS. We were always told 'you don't get a uterine rupture in primips' by the OB's as they push the synto at induction so rupture can't be what they are worrying about surely.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Judy

Tracy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can anyone assist with ammunition for a meeting in the morning which is instrumented to look at eliminating Primips and inductions from an incredible public birthing unit on the Mornington Peninsula Victoria.

Obstetricians and upper management are suggesting primips are not low risk  and nor are inductions. They want to prevent them from accessing the unit.

We desperately need to know if anyone has examples / evidence of units operating elsewhere with midwife led care as the only option?. Has anyone evidence to suggest the outcomes for primipara women and their babies in a midwifery led care model??

I know this is way short notice but it was only presented to us about 10mins ago and the meeting is at 8.00 in the morning!

Thanks for your time – passionate but desperate Peninsula midwife