Title: Lobbying Update and Federal Election Campaign
Dear All

Sorry I have not updated you  all sooner.

Last Tuesday I met with Deputy PM, Leader of the National Party and my local Federal member, John Anderson.

I was cheeky and did pre-emptive media and before we actually met I had done 6 radio slots and he had done 2!!  This was then followed up with 2 further slots on Thursday (10 minutes each duration) on ABC Southern NSW and Nth West NSW.

John was reasonably responsive and my entire pitch was based on rural issues (this being his responsibility and interest).  He without saying showed concern about the procreation plans of  families on welfare (I am in no way simplifying this but there has been a buzz around my local area across shopping centres and amongst those hanging around the courts etc.  So I decided to use its currency to lead in to the need for support etc for women and families and outline how one to one midwifery would provide this.

I also said that in rural areas midwifery had the capacity to also fill the gaps with women’s health and early childhood (if midwives wanted to do the additional training etc).

He made a murmur at a $3,000 birth package being a fair bit more than the Medicare Benefit Schedule (I don’t know how I didn’t leap out of the chair!) but with figurative stock whip I lashed him with some fact.

He asked how we would see it operating. I said either as tied grants to the states to establish community midwifery programs or Medicare provider numbers and quickly said I was terribly tired of hearing that extending Medicare to midwives had implications for Dentists (although they are now using Dentists to a limited capacity!!)and Chiropractors. I said Midwives provide the exact service that Obs do (when birth is normal) and that the birth numbers would not necessarily change. I know some are against Medicare provider numbers (with the argument that it limits antenatal visits  etc.  But now that Abbott has given the green light for Obs to package their care it may just be the way to go.

I left him saying I would follow up shortly and he promised to read NMAP as he was being driven to his next appointment (his electorate is HUGE).

I think we need to lobby the coalition pretty hard.  If anyone has a national party local federal member, please write to them (this is a task for those supporters that aren’t able to do to much but are happy to write a letter or 2)  please write don’t e-mail and cc it to John Anderson: Address: 206 Conadilly Street, Gunnedah NSW 2380  Fax:    02 6742 1840.  There is a sample letter on the website.

The National Party have senators in each Victoria, NSW and QLD and as senators represent the whole state anyone in that state can ask them to represent them.  Here are the details (but mention rural issues as important to spark their interest)

NSW: Sandy McDonald Senator for NSW
Address: 467 Peel Street, Tamworth NSW 2340
Phone:    02 6766 6998
Fax:    02 6766 4169
Email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Senator  for Victoria Julian McGauran

Address: Suite 17, Collins Place, 45 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone:    03 9650 3622
Freecall:    1300 131 746
Fax:    03 9650 3565
Email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Queensland Senator Ron Boswell

Address: Level 36, Waterfront Place, 1 Eagle Street, Brisbane QLD 4000
Phone:    07 3001 8150
Fax:    07 3001 8151
Email:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website:    www.ronboswell.com

Don’t let Tony Abbott or Mark Latham off the hook, as long as we get enough letters they will have an impact.

Yesterday the Northern Territory was the first to refuse independent midwives registration in the private setting while without PI insurance.  Both Victoria and NSW can do the same, so another feature of your letters should address the fact that such refusal to assist midwives is anti-competitive and now midwives are probably the only profession to be dictated to where they must work.

I have made representations to the Greens on national preferences and am chasing up one of the 2 negotiators with the ALP re preferences.

All in all I have been filling my days!

I hope our members and supporters out there can enhance this hard work with a letter or 2.  Also write to your local paper or call talk back, keep the issue current and out there.  One way to do this is to link the amazing support that midwifery could provide to women and families,making a real impact to their lives (rather than a cash payment that probably went to the local retail giant).

If you have other ideas and thoughts call me or contact a the state president of MC.

The longer they leave the election the better it is for midwifery, we have more time to lobby and demonstrate than women across Australia demand choice in maternity care, particularly the choice of a known midwife that they are denied.

In solidarity

Justine

Justine Caines
National President  Maternity Coalition Inc
PO Box 105
MERRIWA  NSW  2329
Ph: (02) 65482248
Fax: (02)65482902