Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 6:33 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] doula article

Hi Denise

In my (lengthy) article on homebirth (which will be in the same issue of Wellbeing) I covered the mums having the homebirths, the independent midwives and the problem with our medicalised hospital system.  Hopefully the editor is going to not edit too much.  The article is written so people can see that our system is failing women - no choice for a homebirth (for most anyway) however the relatively easy choice of a medicalised birth, with the system steering women to believe that's what is best.  For the article on doulas, therefore, I probably want to concentrate on the positives, showing that our current society is conducive to the need of a doula for many women and the rewarding experiences it has given to them.  I hope that makes sense. let me know what you think.

cheers

Kylie