Hi Jen,
I am just concerned that this becomes another 'them and us' amongst
midwives. I am an RN trained midwife, though would have done three year B
mid if it had been available. I am also a home birth mother and I feel there
is an expectation that RN trained midwives somehow do not carry the same
philosophies of normal birth. The university I trained at for my mid was
passionately non-interventionist, and I have to say the theory-practice gap
was huge for us too, all interventionist practice being experienced on
placement.

As Trish, quoting Nicky, so eloquently said, "a midwife is a midwife is a
midwife". All of the amazing independent midwives that I have met, worked
with, workshopped with were mostly all trained in Australia in the last 30
or so years. Which means they were nurses first. The most vocal of our
university lecturers who have pushed for B Mid fall into the same category.

I can see what you are saying Jen, and yes, I would have preferred to have
had the midwifery training that you have had, but I don't find it any more
difficult, I shouldn't think, to be comfortable with non-interventionist,
natural birth. It is a deep part of my being, and I am just as passionate
about it as those lucky enough to have done a three year B-Mid degree. I
think we need to be wary about the systemic horizontal violence that occurs
in midwifery, as in other oppressed groups (i.e. mid has been historically
oppressed in this country both by the medical and the nursing professions),
and we need to work together to change the system of maternity care in this
country no matter where of how we trained, if we are passionate about this.
That is precisely why the three year B mid is so vital, and political,
because it forms part of an historical change for the autonomy of midwifery.

Good luck with finishing your course,
Liz.