Hi Andrea and listers

During the ICM held in Norway some years ago the Minister for Health ( a tall, beautiful blond woman) came to the Congress and told us that "when those men (the doctors) came along and said all baths had to be removed from our local maternity unit - THAT IS WHEN I WENT INTO POLITICS!"
I remember the Prime Minister (also female) was equally impressive when she delivered her speech. They both came across as powerful women who would not waiver in their views on women's birth choices.

It concerns me that Australian midwives are so slow to see the advantages in forming partnerships with women, listen to them and work with them to provide the types of birth services women want. It is difficult in many areas to convince midwives to even contemplate taking on their own caseload.
Perhaps time will alleviate my concerns. I hope I see all Australian midwives working 'with women' before I die.

Jan

Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au