I'm totally for breastfeeding and have breastfed all 3 of my kids.   What I am seeing at the moment (can only speak for this area) is so much emphasis on breastfeeding and so little on anything else.  Sure - breastfeeding is great and is the 'best' but I believe when a woman feels safe and supported, she will most likely choose the best things for herself and her baby anyway.   I know a lot of these mums who are pressured to breastfeed in hospital are giving up as soon as they leave the ward and the hospital are only interested in the fact that they are BF at discharge!!!   Hello...... isn't the long term important too.  It's time to get back to the basics  - women need antenatal education, optimial health, healthy lifestyles etc.  They need to be told that pregnancy and birth are normal life events unless otherwise indicated and not something that needs to be controlled or monitiored at every opportunity.  When we give women more education, more time, more support, better care.....then I am sure a good proportion will make the right choices for their individual circumstances which will include BF.  A lot of these women don't even know what will be good for them in the long-term!

Of course we all have different views and interests and coming from the outside..... this maternity system still has a very long way to go........

Just my thoughts.  Crucify me if you wish.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/18/05 16:08:25
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] sharing 'different' info

I wouldn't glorify birthing in the Netherlands too much - their
breastfeeding rates are amongst the lowest in the World. A wonderful birth
experience is the best way to start (extrauterine) life - but to be
breastfed will have a longer term effect on the health and well being of
the baby and mother.

Denise