Date: 21/06/2005 1:26:32 p.m.
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Problems With new Models

Dear Carol,

Congratulations on your and your colleagues achievement in offering
continuity of care to women in Warragul.

I am sorry to hear you're having trouble recruiting a replacement for your
colleague.  The College has a free section on our website for advertising
vacant positions, and we also have an e-bulletin list that goes to more than
1,000 subscribers.  I would be happy to advertise your position on both of
these if you are still interested.

I also wonder if you've considered contacting the universities in Victoria
and elsewhere that are offering BMId programs.  They may well be able to
promote your service to recent graduates.  There will also be new graduates
emerging from the second intake of BMid students in only another 5 months -
I'm sure you would be likely to attract some interest from one or more of
such graduates (or students, if you have a capacity to wait).

The College is also looking at ways at present that we can help to inform
midwives about the benefits of working in the type of model you are
providing.  There seem to be a lot of fairly negative myths around about the
realities of working this way which we are confident of being able to
balance out with good information from midwives working this way already.
The National Executive meeting in July will be considering some proposals in
this area and I'll let you know after that.  They won't provide an immediate
solution to your problem, but they will at least help to address the bigger
picture problem of encouraging and supporting more midwives to give caseload
care a try, as you and your colleagues are doing.

Kind regards and best wishes for your service,

Barb.

Dr Barbara Vernon
Executive Officer
Australian College of Midwives
Ph +61 2 6230 7333
Mob 0438 855 529

'Midwifery: Pathways to Healthy Nations'
27th Congress of the International Confederation of Midwives
Brisbane Convention Centre, 24-28 July 2005