Gloria,
That is why I was so horrified when the 2 prominent MW did exactly what they condemn Drs for ! I book a month off to actually get 2 weeks hols because of the 'overdue factor', but you are quite right. As a client I'd be mortified to see an unfamiliar face, in my home, when I'm in labour!

BM
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] another induction

I guess I'm having difficulty with the terms. "Informed them later" means they weren't told right at the time they started the contract with the mw, right? Surely it would not be difficult to book all holidays at least 9 mos ahead of time so that people know if you'll be in town or not? I only take on Conference speaking if I know at least one year ahead for that reason. I agree that mws need to take very good care of themselves and rejuvenate body and soul, but I don't get why the client can't be told before the first visit "I'll be away when you are due. I have someone I trust who will be covering my practice so if you'd like to get your prenatal care with me, I'll introduce the covering mw to you at
the end of your pregnancy." That type of statement makes it clear from the
beginning what the plan is.  I have the same impatience with drs who don't
inform their clients long ahead of time that they work in a group practice of 10 other doctors. The woman doesn't stand a hope of getting the one that she sees regularly so why pretend? Birthing women deserve to be informed of these silent
peculiarities so that they're not ambushed on the day the birth begins.
Gloria

Quoting brendamanning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Gloria,

It is not 'lying' (definition: withholding or distorting truth) when a
professional tells you up front what their plans are ! There is no lack of integrity in being honest. I know of 2 very prominent midwives who have done

exactly what the OB mentioned in the original post did: went on hols after booking the client & informed them later that they'd have to find their own
cover for the absent period!

Once informed it's up to the client to decide whether she chooses to work
with that caregiver for her pregnancy. She has a choice if she understand
that the person she is dealing with has hols booked for the time she's due &

she'll be cared for by the covering practitioner.
We all have to have a life outside of work, as long as we are honest with
our clients then it's up to them to make those decisions, that's what
'informed choice' is all about. If we never took leave we'd burn out in no
time & as we are on call from 37 to 43 weeks for births, there is no time
when we can book a complete month off without actually taking the end of the

month before & the beginning of the month after off.

IOL is another issue altogether & the outrage is indeed warranted, yet there

is always a percentage of women who still expect IOL on demand.

BM