I'm not one of the professionals in here, Paivi but hi anyway. : ) I've read in a few places about how episiotomy rates suddenly drop when studies into them begin. A hb MW I know does less than one a year so I figure that's a good guide.  Mostly in hospitals they're performed for no reason at all but the damage they do to women's bodies and psyches horrifies me. It's sanctioned genital mutilation. In birth planning meetings I run I suggest to women that they never put their bodies in a position that can be easily reached by someone with scissors. Our rates are very high in Australia. Well IMO, any rate of episiotomy is too high unless it's negligible.
Just my 2c ; )
Janet
----- Original Message -----
From: Päivi
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 6:31 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] when to cut an episiotomy

A mom asked me when is episiotomy really needed. She had asked from many professionals, and all just gave her the answer, that "They will try to avoid episiotomy, but will cut just in case, if not sure". In Finland the episiotomy rates are from 4% to 50%, and for firsttime moms from 9% to 88%!. It is usually beleived, that the midwife will know best. (That is a medicalaized hospital midwife in most cases). I already know, that you have a different opinion on  when it is needed, but it would be interesting to know from you, who work as midwifes, how often have you performed episiotomies? Does anyone know, what is the national average in the Australian hospitals?

Paivi