Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:26 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] hep C and homebirth

Hoi friends,

Last week I send the question about hep C and homebirth. Since then I got a lot of information and I could decide that homebirth was not a problem with some precautions to protect ourselves. But I have a problem with my colleagues. We have a practice of three midwives and the other two refuse to help the mother, saying that they think the risc is to much to take. She was also a drugaddict, but clean now for several years. She had recent a partner with unsafe sexual behaviour (several partners).
My colleagues say that she is responsible herself for what she got and take the consequences of it. I believe that everybody needs a second chance.

They say, considering our teamwork that I have to refuse her too. They are angry at me.
I feel that refusing her is some discimination.
How should you handle this in your practice?

warm greetings
Lieve

Lieve Huybrechts
vroedvrouw