Hi Janet,
It is amazing that people behave this way in a hospital, but would never
dream of, or get away with, behaving that way anywhere else. It is easy to
see why women would choose to go outside the system, and in extreme cases
choose an unattended homebirth, rather than repeat experiences such as you
describe.
I don't know how the problem can be fixed. But I know people need to share
their stories, both for their own well being and so that the system can be
challenged and others can be forewarned. This is difficult though, as women
should not be entering hospital to give birth feeling fearful about the way
that they will be treated. Partners suffer too when women are treated so
appallingly, and often are not able to advocate for a labouring woman. The
hospital staff have all the power in this situation. Midwives too, can be
traumatised by what happens, and as a small player in a large institution
they often collude with the perpetrators so that they can continue to work
with that individual without too much conflict. Of course some midwives are
perpetrators too. For women who can afford a doula, this may be an excellent
investment, but not everyone can afford a doula, and even fewer can afford
their own midwife.
It is hard for women to share their story, but I think that they should be
supported to do so publicly (with a clear idea of what they hope to achieve
and how they can share the story without further harm to themselves). I also
think women who can afford it should at least get legal advice and ensure
that the ob knows about it. Unfortunately some may be more concerned about
litigation rather than the damage that they cause.
At the moment power is unequally shared in the health care system, and I
think this is a large part of the problem. I do think this will change as
consumers start to demand that it does.
Nicole.