We often have three support people in the room, and I find it is fine. Any more than that seems to be rent a crowd. The idea of galleries is just off. Perhaps this is just the journos as Mary suggests.
I think it is a problem when people are only there because they feel they should be entitled to be there and so come, but are not really much support for the woman. I also find support people can sometimes chat amongst themselves, and not notice the woman's needs changing as labour progresses etc. However, if a woman is comfortable with thesse arrangements who are we to judge???? I will sometimes check with the woman when the support people are out of the room to see if she is finding their presence beneficial. If not, they find themselves with an errand to run such as heating up hot packs, going home to collect an 'essential' item or taking a break because 'they will need their energy' later. I have never had to tell someone to leave altogether thank goodness.
Nicole.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Mary Murphy
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 3:05 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Birth Parties

If we encouraged “Spectator Galleries” when people are having sex, they would be branded as Perverted and the spectators as Perverts.   This is no different. Maybe the reporting is sensationalist?  Still, it is a long way from the “undisturbed birthing” philosophy. MM

"Spectator Galleries" - now I have heard everything!

- don't get me wrong I am all for being surrounded by supportive loved ones during labour and birth but this is a bit OTT don't you think?!