To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Scottish dads push wives toward C-sections? I don't think so

I wouldn't be too impressed by UK c-section rates. What is more important is the 'normal' birth rate. I worked in a large regional referral unit in the UK (5000 births per year). The Consultant was always bragging to new drs that the c-section rate was around 20%. He used to get rather p**sed off when I interrupted to point out that the normal birth rate for a 'low risk' primip was 49%. The instrumental birth rate was very high.

I have noticed here (Queensland public hospital) that the c-section rate is around 30+%. But, women very rarely have instrumental births. Often the c-sections are done at full dilatation and the baby's head has to be dis-impacted from the pelvis. I asked about it (I ask far too many questions), and was told it was because the drs don't have the experience or skill of instrumental births, therefore prefer c-section. Those women that do have instrumental births often end up with 3rd degree tears.

I can only speak for the hospitals I have worked in (both public sector), but my observations are the 'normal birth' is higher than the rate in the UK.

Rachel