-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of JoFromOz
Sent: Saturday, 5 November 2005 9:26 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] burping/winding

wump fish wrote:

> What do you wise women think about winding/burping babies. I am very
> aware that I am totally confusing women and providing them with
> information which conflicts with my colleagues. I would love to hear
> what information you give women about this subject.
>
> My standpoint at the moment (more than willing to change it) is that
> for most babies winding is unnecessary and if they fall asleep at the
> breast just leave them. Rather than sitting them up and jiggling them
> about = waking them up all over again etc. Other cultures do not
> wind/burp babies. Wind will find it's own way out.
>
> Please correct me - I would love to hear alternative theories.
>
> Rachel

I usually suggest it, as newborns often are a bit uncoordinated with
their suck/swallow/breathe, and crying makes them swallow air.  If their
tummy is full of wind after a feed, they might think they're full, and
go to sleep.  I say to women that if they get rid of the burp, the baby
might feed a bit more as they don't feel full anymore, and it could save
them from having a crying baby in 10 min with stomach pains.

However, since having a baby of my own, I haven't really noticed wind to
be a problem.  I winded him after every feed in his younger months, but
now that we are co-sleeping, he is feeding x number of times a night
laying down, and definitely NOT being winded! There seems to be no
problem.  The air will come out the other end, but I thought in young
babies it hurt them, as there has never been wind in their bowels
before.  That was really my 2 only reasons for suggesting it to women.
I never said they should, just said what might happen if they didn't.  I
did follow up with 'every baby is different, see how you go'.  :)

Jo (Mum to Will, who is rolling rolling rolling!)