I am sure someone more knowledgeable will have the precise answer, but it has t do with the fact that the uterus is a fluid filled vacuum with pressures equal all throughout.  Therefore there is no up or down like in the atmosphere.  Is that right?  MM.

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of Bowman Family
Sent: Monday, 7 November 2005 5:10 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] question from Year 10 student

I am involved in the CoreOf Life Program for Year 10 students.  It is a fun and interactive program run over a double period and is about the journey through pregnancy, labour birth and parenting.

Last week when I was demonstrating positioning with doll & pelvis  one of the boys asked  "how come the blood doesn't rush to the baby's head like it does for us if we are upside down"

I didn't know the correct answer and said I would get back to him.

It possibly is obvious but I have asked a few peers and no-one is definite they have the correct answer.  I thought I would throw it open to OzMidwifery for discussion.

Linda