You only have to watch the colour change to the head to know whether circulation is compromised or not. Some ( most ) babies stay pink and or only slightly dusky but others go almost navy blue and even get subconjuntival haemorrhages similar to those that occur in hanging victims which to me indicates that circulation to the head has been compromised for at least some time. Babies can tolerate this for a period but eventually it must have an effect. Just from observation I would say this has little to do with cord compression but compression of the foetal neck by maternal structures which would occur more severely in true shoulder dystocia. Of course prevention is better than cure and encouraging 25% increase in space within the maternal pelvis is likely to reduce the number of cases where this will be a problem.

Andrea Quanchi