Hi Jo,

I feel for this family and for you, because this is such a violent way to
bring a child into the world.

It would be fairly easy to prove that the release was signed under duress,
on the grounds that care would be with-held if it was not signed. I have
been in a situation where one of these documents was signed and the ob
admitted that it would not mean much in court.

The behaviour of the ob could be viewed as battery.However, the parents
probably need some time to think about the implications of taking action for
them personally both emotionally and financially. They will no doubt need
some serious follow up to try to head off PTSD.

I think consulting a professional such as a psychologist within this area
would be essential (and encourage them to keep receipts).The hospital may
have such a service. However, if litigation is likely it would be better to
go private due to sharing of medical records.

It may be that mediation is the least risky to the couple. The outcome might
not be that anyone wins, but if people do take obs to mediation they are
going to be inconvenienced and embarrassed, and may be less likely to behave
in a way that would land them there again.

I don't know what state you are in, but in Victoria there is a health
commissioner where you can make a complaint and it is dealt with in a non
adversorial manner. It might be worth making general enquiries to see what
the options are, and to think about what sort of outcomes the family want.
If they want to make the ob aware of the impact of his actions and perhaps
get an apology, this may be appropriate.

Kind regards,
Nicole Carver.