Hi Kate,

Not all the unis have banned their students from attending homebirths - just Flinders in Adelaide that I know of, whose Dean of Nursing and Midwifery is a Nurse and a Lawyer - who also cautioned us to never recommend alternative remedies to women we followed through - even though we learned about them at uni and some of the students had past professions in naturopathy and homeopathy. Flinders students can attend so called "legitimised" homebirths through the Northern Women's community midwives in Elizabeth who offer homebirth covered by medicare and indemnity insurance thru the state gov. When I was a student I used to drive 3 hrs each way to attend appts and births with these midwives, and it was always worth the effort - esp since i ended up getting to do my grad program there last year!

Love suzi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kate Andrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] informed consent

I'm a student and have chosen homebirth as my topic for a presentation to give in our final semester. I'd like to compile a "map" of homebirth practices arounbd Australia.Does anyone have any info or suggestions on where to look.

In regards the comments about students getting the opportunity to gain experience in this setting , in our course its not even considered. I'm glad to have had a home birth myself and "helped" friends at their home births but this was quite a while before embarking on the midwifery journey myself. Where in Australia do student midwifes be given this learning oppotunity?
Kate