Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Introducing solids too early
thanks for the link, what an excellent article

Megan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Justine Caines
Sent: Thursday, 8 June 2006 12:17 PM
To: OzMid List
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Introducing solids too early

Dear Carol and all

Very interesting re the global perspective.

What we have now though is a gigantic industry both the formula and baby food industry. In informing women of the facts we but up against huge vested interests.  I have been mulling over a book idea but keep coming back to the thought of how it would sell when it would critical analyse the benefits of much of the commercial baby flap/trap.  What do you think Carol??

Only last night I checked labels again and the first food products say 4-6 months. This is despite the WHO code, Does NHMRC also have one?? I can’t remember

Doesn’t matter that most babies can’t sit up then!!

When I worked for a pollie a few yrs back we successfully made Heinz re label rice cereal but I guess we only held them to that produce so without any diligent monitoring the sell sell approach remains unfettered.

Re the formula industry I red a fascinating article that put all the arguments we know very succinctly. It is from a UK journal called Ecologist

http://www.exacteditions.com/exact/browse/307/308/1267/3/22/0/

Well worth a look

Justine Caines
National Policy Co-ordinator