Jennifairy said

I wonder how many of these women had inductions (for eg)?
Ive also seen (during my student experiences, & so have other current
students) some midwives & doctors apply CCT without giving synt, &
describing this as 'physiological' 3rd stage. There are lots of 'mixed
managements' of 3rd stage out there with no real evidence base, IMHO
once you do anything like pull on the cord its active management, but on
the 'coal face' there sometimes doesnt seem to be much consensus around
'reasonable' evidence-based 3rd stage management.
What Im pointing out is there is sometimes a gap bewteen what we think
we mean by a term ('active 3rd stage', for eg) & what actually happens,
ie, how that is interpreted by the person doing the job, & the term may
imply consistency but that doesnt fit reality
cheers.

I agree Jennifairy that there is a gap between good practice and what actually happens. It isn't however because there research or knowledge isn't there it's more because practitioners are happy to carry on in ignorance without applying the correct skills and are able to get away with it. Lisa