"Policies and guidelines are not necessarily 'a load of rubbish' either...Unfortunately, we need these so that we all do the same thing..."

Therein lies the problem with "management" of birth...all women, babies and births are not the same, so if everyone caring for the woman and baby does the same thing, how can this possibly be considered appropriate evidence based care?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] How long before synto is used?

I have to say that, unfortunately, many women are not in tune enough with their bodies to know whether they have ruptured their membranes or not. this is evidenced by what they say on the phone...eg " I'm not sure if I have broken my waters or not".  And we have had incidences of women desperate to be induced tipping a glass of water down their pants to make it look like they have!!

Policies and guidelines are not necessarily 'a load of rubbish' either, they are not just a bunch of words written down at the whim of an individual person. Believe me, having been on a guidelines development committee, with everyone from the Director of Obstetrics to midwives from the birth centre. It has taken over 18 months to review and rewrite only a handful of guidelines. Unfortunately, we need these so that we all do the same thing.There is enough confliciting adveice dished out by midwives as it is.
Not all of these guidelines are restrictive and if women know enough to challenge them then I see that as good for the system. I just wish there were more women out there who would challenge the system.

However, whilst I was practicing as an independent midwife...I treated the women I was working with the respect and honour that they deserved and would definately watch and wait in cases like this.

Sally