I wouldn't contribute my baby's cord blood because that blood belongs to my baby, and that's where it's going, every last drop until it stops by itself and the placenta comes away naturally. Cord blood donation requires early cord clamping which for reasons I probably don't have to explain to those on this list is not something I would subject my child to. To my knowledge, cord blood is the best locale of stem cells, but it's not the ONLY one; there are other methods of obtaining them. So I can't see any good reason to prematurely amputate my child from their life source at birth (carrying all the risks to their health and wellbeing that come with this practice) and give their cord blood to someone else for their possible health and wellbeing; it doesn't seem logical to me as a Mother.

----- Original Message ----- From: "brendamanning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 12:49 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Cord Blood Donation

I have been asked this & would be very interested to hear others views. I am fairly sure she means CB donation, not storage of blood for later use for her children.

"I've been meaning to ask you for a while about cord blood donation and in
particular why people don't seem to do it. I picked up a brochure from the
hospital and read it.  I think I want to do it since it will otherwise just
end up in the bin but am just wondering whether others know more about it
and are therefore opting not to do it.  Can you tell me what the cons of
doing it are or the possible controversial issues."

With kind regards
Brenda Manning
www.themidwife.com.au