-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kim Hunter
Sent: Monday, 3 July 2006 5:29 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] List working properly???

Hi all,

I've looked into the problems that seem to be happening on
the list, in particularly, that not all emails are being received
by everyone.

There are two issues that could be causing this problem, the
first one is spam filters as already mentioned by Andrea.
Unfortunately, there is no perfect technology available to
make sure only real spam is filtered and all the email you
want or expect to receive actually arrive in your inbox.

This spam issue also affects some emails that are bouncing.
As I don't always have time to go through all my spam mail
to make sure I catch all bounces from the list.  Although I will
endeavour to be as thorough as I can, I do received over 100
spam emails a day (that's my problem though :-) ).

I am currently going through my spam mail to fish out any
bounces that aren't spam and will respond to anyone whose
mail has wrongly ended up in my spam inbox.

Some of the ways you can help to make sure all emails are
received:

* Have a think about the words you use in your email, spam filters
   are set up to catch key words. Some of these you may need to
   use due to the nature of your work but may also have a not "spam
   typical" description.

* Only send emails to the list only and not copy in other people

* Try not to use the "special words" in emails, like s*bscribe,
   uns*bscribe, j*in, c*ncel and h*lp (particularly in the subject heading).

* Try to remember that the list doesn't like attachments.

* When replying to messages try to only keep as much of the
   original message as is needed to make sense of your reply.  Emails
   bounce when they are too long.

* For those who view this list via the archives, unfortunately, you
   can only post emails to the list is you are a member.  There is
   no reason why you can't join to send an email and then take
   yourself off the list after your email has been sent.

I hope this is useful to you all.  Please don't hesitate to contact me
should you have any questions.

Regards
Kim

At 03:05 25/06/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>Can I first stress that this list is not moderated - no-one checks
>emails before they appear and no messages are "filtered" out.  This
>is one of the few email lists that are free and open in this way.
>Everyone is welcome here!
>
>The list sometimes has problems, and we will investigate.  Sometimes
>I get messages that for some reason are redirected to my spam filter
>where I pick them up - you  could try checking there for missed
>emails. If the sender copies messages  to other email addresses at
>the same time, this seems to cause the problem for me.  For example,
>an email sent simultaneously to a string of private email address
>and/or several lists including this one, may get bounced as spam by your
ISP.

>Try sending messages just to this list and don't copy to anyone else
>at the same time.
>
>I'll ask our list manager Kim for more suggestions.
>
>Regards
>
>Andrea
>

>At 09:41 AM 24/06/2006, you wrote:
>>The emails that I am aware of not getting through have often been
>>involving the same group of people, and/or regarding birth trauma,
>>the ethics of choice, and then there is also mine and Janet's
>>recent emails on birthplans (I've had two emails not appear
>>yesterday, one was a follow up to David's commentary on the ethics
>>of choice, and one was a response to Kelly's further query about
Birthplans).

>>Are other people having the same difficulty, or are specific emails
>>being singled out and removed? This is highly frustrating and needs
>>to be remedied for the list to function fairly and
>>effectively.  It's happening a lot right now but it's occurred
>>multiple times historically too.
>>
>>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jo Bourne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kim Hunter
List Administration
Birth International
ACE Graphics and Associates in Childbirth Education

http://www.birthinternational.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]