A little off-topic – when you don’t do directed pushing you do not tell a woman when to push, but do you tell her when not to push? Or another way to put it – does directed pushing only include telling a woman when to push, or telling her when not to push as well?

Vedrana

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mary Murphy
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 4:59 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] intact peri

Hi Paivi, I cannot give you statistics of homebirth as I do not have immediate access to them. I will see if we have any stats on our service that I can access.  Just in general, the main way to protect the perineum is not to tell the woman to push, but to allow her to use her natural open glottis pushing, an keep hands off.  At home we do not do directed pushing.  I cannot speak for birth centres, but their philosophy is much the same.  Each midwife does different things, but it is not usual to use compresses or perineal massage during birth.  Is that what you have found Jan?  I wouldn’t put too much weight on the Bastian research as not all of us completed her surveys.  I personally have done 3 episiotomies in 24 yrs, but would do one if I thought necessary.  Hospital midwives will have to answer the one about epidurals.  MM