I know that I have certainlly 'advised' women NOT to push at certain times in their labours. Or even though I absolutely cringe at some of the coaching pushing you see on ER and such programs, I have been guilty of it (very rarely). Generally with very tired primeps who are battling exhaustion and are so tired that they are barely capable of speaking. We don't have access to epidurals, so it's quite literally vaginal birth with some gas/peth or LUSCS and nothing in between.

Because I'm often the only midwife on at night, and the dr is on call, but not in the building, I do everything possible, showers, birth stools, massage, support and even 'intensive coaching' if that's whats needed. Last shift had a beautiful birth, young mum with her mum, birthed herself (even when she had screamed for an hour that she couldn't!) intact peri, and a gorgeous little one. And Yes, I coached her when to push. But the result was wonderful.

Cheryl

From: "Mary Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] intact peri Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:16:14 +0800

Not so clear cut.  On the whole it means not directed, as many of the women
I care for are on their knees in a water tub and I can’t see their perineum.
I talk about this during their pregnancy and try to remind them to “go
gently”.  I find that women who are free to move their body as they choose
(water is great for this) are able to be in touch with what they need to do.
Does this mean hundreds of intact perineums?  No.  It means that sometimes
there is a tear and sometimes not. A hard question to get the right answer.
MM

  _____

A little off-topic – when you don’t do directed pushing you do not tell a
woman when to push, but do you tell her when not to push? Or another way to
put it – does directed pushing only include telling a woman when to push, or
telling her when not to push as well?

Vedrana

  _____