I have been vocal on here of late haven’t I? I try to be quite but on this occasion I have a comment and a question or 2.

I appreciate as a consumer that there are people prepared to say what may be perceived as challenging. I appreciate the struggle that it is to work with in a high risk environment. The challenge is what can we do with in our own environment to make the changes that women need? Is it to involve or start a local consumer group? Maybe, let them do battle for you because it is ultimately for themselves. It is always more powerful when families themselves say it. Midwives wont change the system alone and don’t have to try too. I am sure you all recognize that. By giving the power to change it back to the women they are in fact able to become more empowered all round.

My question is two fold. Does a woman have the right to refuse cord blood gases being tested? If the consequence of having cord blood gases done is that she woman and her baby get a lower level of care (midwife has to leave her), she cannot have cord left till pulsating ends possibly denying the baby life giving support, it is not evidenced based, etc. shouldn’t she be explained these things at different times anti-natally and during birth (where possible) so that she can make an informed choice as to what she wants?

I thinks so and in such a circumstance could you not use “offered and refused by client” as a very valid out with the pen pushers etc?

I am really trying to think outside the square a little and think of ways this can be done that protects women and midwives. I may be naïve about women’s rights but I think we should have some say in these procedures.

With respect,

Philippa Scott
Birth Buddies - Doula
Assisting women and their families in the preparation towards childbirth and labour.
President of Friends of the Birth Centre Townsville