  From: Tania Smallwood
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:59 PM
  Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] getting synto etc

  This is part of the big problem with the way in which independent midwives
are forced to work here in Australia isn’t it?  An IPM who chooses not to carry
synto or erg would be crucified in the event of a PPH, but the reality is that
there are few ways to legally acquire it, and even fewer ways to legally
administer it.  Sadly we have a long way to go in this battle, and though it
seems like a miniscule thing, I think it’s a big deal that many midwives simply
have no way of getting the drugs they need to carry, and equally no way to be
able to give them when the are needed.  I don’t know of one single Dr in SA who
would write a standing order for synto knowing that the woman receiving it was
choosing to birth at home.  And why should women have to broach the subject
with (mostly) disrespectful and ignorant GP’s.  Isis, you are lucky!

  Just my thoughts…

  Tania