sorry if you get this twice, didn't come through on my computer

Barb
----- Original Message -----
From: Barbara Glare & Chris Bright
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] breastfeeding as contraception

Hi,

It seems like evidence based practice stops at breastfeeding!  Jayne, I
understand what you are saying, and acknowledge that this was the case for you.
 But there have been very thorough studies, (as I outlined the other day) and
studies that have verified the original studies, across affulent and developing
studies.

The combined pill is also 98% effective.  do we warn women against using that?
I (cross my heart) have a friend that got pregnant to her husband 2 years after
he had a vasectomy.  The dr said that some-times the tiny tubes can someimes
grow back together.  When I have mentioned this to friends, other people have
reported of knowing people that this happened to.  The minipill is only, what
70% successful.

At an ABA meeting not long ago, everyone in the room knew some-one whose pelvis
was too small for the baby to be born normally.  Stories abounded about
gruesome forceps birth, babies that nearly died and *necessary* caesarians.  I
nearly fainted in shock (before rapidly changing the subject)  Before I did
change the subject I pointed out that in fact this is not supported by
evidence.  It is indeed very rare for a woman to have a pelvis so small she
can't birth her baby normally.

Food for thought, really.

Barb