Looks not very good to have more than 100 site collections (which have their
own db) in a single web app.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx<https://webmail.telecom.co.nz/owa/redir.aspx?C=e0c76c9fff1b4c7e9f3568be7dbde594&URL=http%3a%2f%2ftechnet.microsoft.com%2fen-us%2flibrary%2fcc262787.aspx>

>From the above article... Guidelines for acceptable performance

  Content database

100 per Web application

Similar guidance is for Query servers

  Query servers

No limit

Because 100 content databases are supported for each query server, the
number of query servers required per farm is based on the number of content
databases in the farm. For example, if there are 500 content databases in
your farm, you will need at least 5 query servers.