Suppose one is using TFS + a Wiki.  This creates two integration
possibilities: 1) Displaying info stored in the wiki inside TFS, and 2)
Displaying information stored in TFS inside the wiki.

 

Use case #1 is handled by the work item URL linking, although one might
envision a custom control that provides a more elegant interface.

 

Use case #2 is the one I'm a bit more interested in, although I've
actually done both integration directions for the clients I've consulted
with.

 

One thing that frustrates me about the TFS interfaces (Team Explorer and
TSWA) is that they are static.  They don't give me a lot of flexibility
in rearranging information in the way I would like to see it.  I see
this as an area that a wiki could address.  If you could pull
information out of TFS and display it inside your wiki, then you could
have a lot more flexibility in arranging information in useful and
project-specific ways.  In effect, the wiki could become an alternate
user interface to TFS that would supplement Team Explorer and TSWA.

 

I mentioned one such scenario in my response to Grant ... tutorials.  I
might like to write a tutorial that covers a specific module of the
code.  New team members could then read the tutorial and come up to
speed quickly.  In the course of writing the tutorial, I'd like to
insert source code snippets.  It would be nice if I could just insert
some wiki markup into the document that would pull the desired source
code directly out of TFS.  There are lots of other similar scenarios
that I can imagine ... a project manager writing status reports,
post-mortem analyses, custom-formatted reports, etc.

 

Would there be any interest in that type of integration?

 

-          Kevin

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard
Banks
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 7:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Using a wiki with TFS

 

For a new team project I just use the OOTB wiki from the project
template.  Since each project has their own needs the empty wiki is
sufficient.

 

Oh, I also don't stress too much over having an "uber-wiki".  Coding
standards and the sort of stuff that might end up in one of those is
usually already held in a document library elsewhere - I don't want to
waste time on zero-value activities like moving existing docs to a new
format/home. :-)

 

Regards,

Richard Banks
CSM | CSP | http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com
<http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com/>  | http://twitter.com/rbanks54
<http://twitter.com/rbanks54> 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig Harvey
Sent: Monday, 8 December 2008 11:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Using a wiki with TFS

 

Hi Richard,

What happens when you create a new Project - do you manually create a
new WSS (or MOSS) site based on the Wiki template, or have you got a TFS
Process Template customised that specifies to use this site template
instead of the default team one?

Do you end up with one site (i.e. the wiki), or the default team site
and your own wiki site for the project elsewhere (maybe even a sub
site)?

Agreed the Wiki template is pretty rudimentary (it's actually part of
WSS). Interesting we're looking at slightly tweaking a MOSS Publishing
site to use for a 'Wiki'. 

Regards,
Craig

2008/12/8 Richard Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wiki with TFS - yep.  The inbuilt one.  It's the broken sharepoint wiki,
but it does the job.  We use it for notes on what we are doing, why
design decisions were made, overviews on tech design, setup info, etc.
Basically it's the living project documentation (but not that heavy
handed documentation rubbish that no-one ever reads)

 

Not sure what you mean by integration though - if we need a work item to
link to a wiki page, we just use the URL link in the work item.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Regards,

Richard Banks
CSM | CSP | http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com
<http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com/>  | http://twitter.com/rbanks54
<http://twitter.com/rbanks54> 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, 7 December 2008 7:16 AM
To: [email protected]


Subject: Using a wiki with TFS

 

Hello,

 

I just subscribed to this mailing list.

 

I have some questions for you all ... 

 

Is anyone out there using a wiki in combination with TFS?  

If so, which wikis do you use?  

How do you integrate the wiki with TFS?  (Custom integrations,
third-party plug-ins, etc.)

What would be the advantage of using a wiki vs. the built-in SharePoint
project portals?

 

Thanks for your feedback.

 

-          Kevin Dietz

-          Timpani Software, Inc.

-          http:/www.timpanisoftware.com/tfs

 

________________________________

List address: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
List FAQ: http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs
<http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs> 
Other lists you might want to join: http://www.codify.com/lists
<http://www.codify.com/lists> 

________________________________

List address: [email protected]
Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List FAQ: http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs
Other lists you might want to join: http://www.codify.com/lists

 

________________________________

List address: [email protected]
Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List FAQ: http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs
Other lists you might want to join: http://www.codify.com/lists

________________________________

List address: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
List FAQ: http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs
<http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs> 
Other lists you might want to join: http://www.codify.com/lists
<http://www.codify.com/lists> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List address: [email protected]
Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List FAQ: http://www.codify.com/lists/oztfs
Other lists you might want to join: http://www.codify.com/lists

Reply via email to