The error is there:
cp: cannot create regular file
'/mnt/packer-amazon-chroot-volumes/xvdf/etc/resolv.conf':
No such file or directory

You haven't created the directory. Repeating my advice use the *amazon-ebs
*builder
instead, at least until you get comfortable with packer and as log as you
don't need a special feature of the *amazon-chroot* builder.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/4366692d-dfab-4875-847e-eeb9a3afc83a%40googlegroups.com.