If the directory doesn't exist you must create it, see
https://www.packer.io/docs/provisioners/file.html#destination

If attach your full template plus scripts I can probably point out what is
wrong.

If you need fast builds I recommend that you add both amazon-ebs and
amazon-chroot to your template and run with packer build -only=amazon-ebs
template.json after you have a build that works in the way you expect you
switch to -only=amazon-chroot.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/208a1a51-7307-431f-9c73-c835eeab7fe1%40googlegroups.com.