Hi,

Firstly apologies if this came up already. I was not able to find it with
Google searches.
This is a packer-vagrant mixed issue, so I know that it could be also in
vagrant's group.

What I am trying to do is to use packer to create an AWS instance,
provision it (with ansible), generate an AWS AMI and post-processing would
generate a vagrant box.
The whole process runs smoothly, but when I try to vagrant up that box I
get "The box you attempted to add doesn't match the provider you
specified.".

Here is the relevant code from packer's json:

{
  "variables": {
  },
  "builders": [
    {
      "type": "amazon-ebs",
      "access_key": "{{user `aws_access_key`}}",
      "secret_key": "{{user `aws_secret_key`}}",
      "region": "{{user `region`}}",
      "source_ami": "{{user `source_ami`}}",
      "instance_type": "{{user `size`}}",
      "ssh_username": "{{user `user`}}",
      "ami_name": "{{user `temp_box`}}",
      "ami_description": "{{user `ami_desc`}}",
      "ami_regions": [
        "eu-west-1",
        "eu-central-1"
      ],
      "associate_public_ip_address": true,
      "force_deregister": true,
      "run_tags": {
        "type": "packertempinstance"
      },
      "tags": {
        "type": "packerimage",
        "tag2": "stuff"
      },
      "temporary_key_pair_name": "{{user `tmp_keypair`}}"
    }
  ],
  "provisioners": [
    {
      "type": "shell",
      "inline": [
        "while [ ! -f /var/lib/cloud/instance/boot-finished ]; do echo
'Waiting for cloud-init...'; sleep 1; done"
      ]
    },
    {
      "type": "shell",
      "execute_command": "echo 'packer' | {{.Vars}} sudo -S -E bash
'{{.Path}}'",
      "inline": ["apt install python-minimal aptitude -y"]
    },
    {
      "type": "ansible",
      "playbook_file": "./playbook.yml",
      "groups": ["all", "app"],
      "ssh_host_key_file": "/Users/myuser/.ssh/mykey.pem",
      "extra_arguments": "-v",
      "ansible_env_vars": [ "ANSIBLE_HOST_KEY_CHECKING=False" ]
    },
    {
      "type": "shell",
      "execute_command": "echo 'packer' | {{.Vars}} sudo -S -E bash
'{{.Path}}'",
      "script": "cleanup.sh"
    }
  ],
  "post-processors": [
    {
      "type": "vagrant",
      "keep_input_artifact": true,
      "output": "modified-xenial.box"
    }
  ]
}

When the modified-xenial.box is generated I'm adding it as a box:
# vagrant box add mybox `pwd`/modified-xenial.box
And then:
# vagrant init mybox -m

At this point I have a Vagrantfile like this:

$ cat Vagrantfile
Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.box = "mybox"
  config.vm.box_url = ["file:///Users/myuser/Dev/modified-xenial.box"]
end

However, when I vagrant up it I get this:

$ vagrant up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Box 'mybox' could not be found. Attempting to find and
install...
    default: Box Provider: virtualbox
    default: Box Version: >= 0
==> default: Box file was not detected as metadata. Adding it directly...
==> default: Adding box 'mybox' (v0) for provider: virtualbox
    default: Unpacking necessary files from:
file:///Users/myuser/Dev/modified-xenial.box
The box you attempted to add doesn't match the provider you specified.

Provider expected: virtualbox
Provider of box: aws

I understand that the original box was built using AWS's builder from
packer, but the postprocessor should generate a vagrant/Virtualbox friendly
box, right?

Any help into what I am doing wrong is appreciated.

Cheers,
Miguel

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/2a370330-e773-4fe3-8e34-c4e8991b14e4%40googlegroups.com.