Sorry I read to fast.

I understand that the original box was built using AWS's builder from
> packer, but the postprocessor should generate a vagrant/Virtualbox friendly
> box, right?

The *vagrant *post-processor does not convert the underlying format. So
*amazon-ebs* builder together with the *vagrant *post-porocessor creates
vagrant boxes for the *aws *vagrant provider. If you want a (standard)
*virtualbox* vagrant provider box you need to run one of the
*virtualbox *builders
in packer.

Hope that clarifies it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt_bxMXQgEdd_GuyfNDDSJNC54HyfiYpvVEBaok58Zq0HQ%40mail.gmail.com.