I'm trying to install crontab on an AMI image using the shell provisioner
like this:
{
  "type": "shell",
  "skip_clean": true,
  "inline": [
    "some commands above and here and then..",
    "(crontab -l 2> /dev/null; echo '0 03 * * *
/home/ec2-user/cron/some-script.sh') | crontab -"
  ]
}
SSH username in the builder is set to *ec2-user*. The problem is that when
I create an instance from the image and log in I cannot see any cron
installed by checking with *crontab -l*. However when I keep the script on
the image by setting *skip_clean* to *true* and execute the script again
manually (as ec2-user) then the cron entry is set up. That seems strange to
me, because all other commands in the inline sections execute just fine.
Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

Stan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/a630d63d-e6b2-4f93-96c2-d319f5ff1163%40googlegroups.com.